The province landscapes are extraordinaire. You can find three or more different climates/ecosystems in an hour travel car.
Usually our visitants fall in love with the Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park, a sea and land protected space said to be one of the best places in Spain to dive.
When in Almería you can take the opportunity to spend a few days resting here. But be sure to do your reservations soon enough since is tourist high season.
Since probably it will be the first time you'll visit Almería and theses parts of Spain we feel you could take the opportunity to travel with your family.
So they can have a parallel set of activities of active tourism both in the city or in any of the beautiful landscapes, specially the Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park. Indeed you could want to spent holidays time after GUADEC with your significant ones. An you'll find a lot of companies offering outdoors activities:
- tracking routes, both in park and other places in the province
- bus guided visits to beautiful places, both in park and other places in the province
- horse riding
- snorkeling in the natural park waters
- scuba diving baptisms in the natural park waters
- kayak routes in the natural park waters
- The Alcazaba moorish castle about 1000 years old
- The Museum of Almería
- a beautiful XIX bourgeois downtown
- and the restored air raid shelters build in the Spanish Civil War
- and a lot of others historic places and museums to visit.
There is an Almería Tourist Guide application for Android.
Very near the city (less than 30 Km far):
- visit to the Los Millares Calcolithic archaeological site, five thousand years old, one of the most important of the world for that age;
- attend to the recreation and espectable of Western movies in real cinema stages used in world famous Spaguetti Western movies, like Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood ones or TV shows like Dr. Who;
- visit to the international research place Almería Solar Platform;
- visit to the German-Spanish Astronomical Centre of Calar Alto.
A bit more far there are some nice destinations:
- the Alpujarras zone has great places with exotic landscapes and towns with ancient origins, Moorish and sooner indeed;
- The marvellous city of Granada and province is less than two hour by car. Remember there is the Alhambra, a World Heritage place Washington Irving felt in love and which inspired his famous Tales of the Alhambra.
- and the first nudism hotel in Europa at the 4 stars Vera Playa Club Hotel, if you like
- Málaga city and province, a popular place for sun and beach tourism and a nice places like the white towns.
W̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ How to eat in Almería
Well, as you can imagine we have restaurants and other meal shops here, but what we really love is to go for «tapas»
Almería locals and visitors love to eat tapas. When meeting to eat with friends we tipically go to one or several bars and eat several tapas. In Almería each tapa includes a beverage (usually wine, beer or grape juice) and an appetizer. Obviously you can drink any other beverage but it's not included in the standard price. Do you can have a full lunch with tapas? Yes, sure. The rule of thumb is you can have a meal with three tapas. Going for tapas is specially popular for dinner.
So, remember, the ideal way to have your dinner in Almería is going to tapas and as reference you can use these routes of tapas:
More touristic information
You can get more information on
You can follow other tourist news on:
- Almería pictures
- Artistic pictures of Almería published in Flickr
- Flickr Album of Almería province from Francisco Javier Requena
- beautiful pictures of tapas.